Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Need Something to Blog About

Not much happening on the creative front this past week.  I've been battling some sort of bug and just haven't had the energy to crochet.  I went two evenings in a row without even picking up my hook and yarn!  GASP!!

But before that, I did finish Fat Bottom Bag #2!
I completed the base of the bag a few weeks ago, but I spent quite a bit of time procrastinating with the sewing machine.  I've never really been taught how to use one, although I'm sure I did some sewing when I was a kid with my Gram who was practically a pro.  So when a friend at work offered to let me use her machine for a while, I took her up on the offer.  It then sat on my kitchen table for 2 weeks untouched.  :)  So I finally decided to look the manual up on Singer's website and give it a go.  I had some fabric and crocheted swatches all ready to test out just to make sure I could actually sew through fabric and yarn at the same time.  Others have done it, so why couldn't I?  Got everything all set up, bobbin wound, thread fed into the machine all the way until I realized there was no needle!  So off to Joann's I went to buy a needle.

So in the end, I did manage to sew in the lining of the Fat Bottom Bag following the instructions by another Crochet Kel and it only took me 2 hours to do.  There are a few very visible mistakes and I had a very hard time staying in a straight line (its a good thing I don't drive a car like this!) but with practice I hope to get better.  I might even buy my own very basic machine.

The color in the pictures is deceiving as I took them with my phone.  Its not orange!  Its more of a shrimpy pink color.  Yarn: Loops & Threads Impeccables in Rouge, handles and lining fabric from Joann's.

I present FBB#2

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, the bag turned out beautifully. Love the lining color too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second one too! Hope you feel better. Have to make that!

    ReplyDelete