Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Painted Turtle Reveal

I can finally post about this, now that it is done and I've handed it off to the recipient!

Way back when, in my crochet class, I picked up a copy of Interweave Crochet and immediately took a liking to a pattern called the Painted Turtle Afghan by one of my favorite designers, Edie Eckman.  I knew I had to make one of these afghans, although it was a big feat, as I was still learning the basic stitches and not having done bpdc (back post double crochet) I was a little out of my league.  So I stashed the magazine in my collection and finally came back to it with the perfect plan in mind.

I decided to make this for my father for Father's Day.  Little did I know, it would take me twice as long as I anticipated, and allotted, to complete this because each hexagon had to be blocked individually and the cat got a hold of one of them, so I had to redo one as well.  But last weekend, I worked almost non-stop on it and finished it on Monday night.  What a relief to finally have this done!  It's an amazing feeling to weave in that last end and know that your work is complete.  I'm happy to say that my dad loved his new afghan (even though it's completely the wrong time of year to be using a wool afghan!).

Of course, I didn't measure it before I gave it to him, but each hexagon measures 10" from side to side (not point to point), so it's around 60" by 50".  I used Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand Yarn in Natural Brown (the darkest), Oak Tweed, and Oatmeal.  The joining is done in SC using Oatmeal, two rounds.

Here are some detail shots:



Hope you love it Dad!

1 comment:

  1. That turned out beautifully Kelly! You can tell a lot of hard work and love went into it. What a thoughtful gift! :-)

    ReplyDelete